How to Prevent Mold Growth in Your Tarboro & Rocky Mount, NC Home: Tips & Tricks
This was mold that was found by one of our mold technicians on a recent inspection.
Rocky Mount & Tarboro Mold Issues
Mold growth in your Nash or Edgecombe County home can be a serious health hazard, as well as cause damage to your property. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to prevent mold growth in your home. In this blog post, we'll explore some tips and tricks to help you keep your home mold-free:
Control moisture levels
Mold needs moisture to grow, so it's important to keep moisture levels in your home under control. Repair any leaks in your plumbing, roof or walls as soon as possible. Use a dehumidifier in damp areas like your basement, bathroom or laundry room, and make sure to keep your home well-ventilated.
Mold can grow on dust and dirt, so it's important to clean your home regularly. Vacuum carpets and upholstery, mop hard floors, and dust surfaces with a microfiber cloth. Make sure to clean up any spills or water leaks immediately to prevent moisture from accumulating.
Use mold-resistant products
When renovating or building your home, consider using mold-resistant products such as drywall, paint, and insulation. These products are designed to resist mold growth and can help prevent the need for remediation down the line.
Monitor humidity levels
It's important to keep the humidity levels in your home below 60 percent. You can monitor the humidity levels using a hygrometer, which is available at most hardware stores. If the humidity levels are too high, use a dehumidifier to reduce moisture in the air.
Use proper ventilation
Proper ventilation is important in preventing mold growth. Use exhaust fans in your bathroom and kitchen to remove moisture from the air. If you have a clothes dryer, make sure it's vented to the outside to prevent moisture buildup.
Keep indoor plants to a minimum
While indoor plants are beautiful, they can also contribute to mold growth. Plants release moisture into the air, which can create the perfect environment for mold to thrive. If you do have indoor plants, make sure to keep the soil dry and remove any dead leaves or flowers.
Check your gutters and downspouts
Clogged gutters and downspouts can cause water to accumulate around the foundation of your home. This can create a breeding ground for mold. Make sure to clean your gutters and downspouts regularly to prevent water buildup.
In conclusion, preventing mold growth in your home requires a combination of regular cleaning, moisture control, and proper ventilation. By following these tips and tricks, you can keep your home mold-free and protect your health and property.
SERVPRO of Rocky Mount: Trusted Mold Professionals
Mold growth in your home is something that you need to address as quickly as possible. Without the training and expertise on removal and restoration, you leave your home to further damages. Our team of professional technicians do mold inspections and tests. Give our SERVPRO of Rocky Mount / Tarboro rapid response team a call today at (252) 977-9444.
Dangers of House Fires for Rocky Mount & Tarboro Pets
Pets have a huge place in our hearts here at SERVPRO Rocky Mount. Meet Boone, our shop dog!
Pets & House Fires
According to the National Fire Protection Association, over 500,000 house fires occur every year in the United States alone. House fires in Rocky Mount & Tarboro, North Carolina can be extremely dangerous, causing injuries, property damage, and even death. While we often think about the safety of ourselves and our family members during a house fire, it’s important to also consider the safety of our pets. Here are some of the dangers that house fires pose to pets:
Smoke inhalation is one of the most dangerous aspects of a house fire for pets. Smoke can cause respiratory problems and can even be lethal. Pets that are close to the fire or trapped in a room with smoke can easily become overwhelmed by the fumes and quickly succumb to the effects of smoke inhalation.
Pets are also at risk of severe burns during a house fire. Flames and hot surfaces can cause serious injury, and pets that are not able to escape quickly may suffer from severe burns.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Fires produce carbon monoxide, which is a poisonous gas that can be deadly for pets. Carbon monoxide is odorless and invisible, and pets may not be aware that they are breathing in the toxic gas until it’s too late.
Pets that are unable to escape a room or area during a house fire can become trapped and suffer serious injury or death. It’s important to make sure that pets have a clear path to escape and that doors and windows are not blocked.
House fires can cause panic in pets, making it difficult for them to find a way out. This can cause them to hide or become disoriented, which can make it even more challenging for them to escape.
Injuries During Escape
Pets may injure themselves while trying to escape from a house fire, especially if they have to jump from a height or through a window. Broken bones, cuts, and bruises can all occur during a desperate escape attempt.
In order to protect pets from the dangers of house fires, it’s important to take preventative measures. Here are some tips for keeping pets safe during a fire:
- Make sure that pets have access to an exit and that doors and windows are not blocked.
- Keep collars and leashes near the exit so that you can quickly grab them and put them on your pets as you evacuate.
- Practice evacuation drills with your pets so that they become familiar with the process.
- Consider installing monitored smoke detectors that are linked to a security company.
- Place stickers on your front door or window to let firefighters know that there are pets inside.
In conclusion, house fires can be extremely dangerous for pets, and it’s important to take preventative measures to keep them safe. By being prepared and taking the necessary precautions, we can help protect our furry friends from the dangers of house fires.
If you or your loved one has been impacted by a house fire in Tarboro or Rocky Mount, North Carolina, give SERVPRO of Rocky Mount a call. 252-977-9444.
Who Do You Call When Property Damage Occurs in Rocky Mount?
If you've experienced property damage due to water, fire, or mold, choosing the right property restoration company is critical to getting your life back to normal as quickly as possible. Here are some reasons why customers should choose SERVPRO of Rocky Mount for property restoration:
- Quick Response Time: SERVPRO has a 24-hour emergency response team that is always ready to respond to your call. The faster they arrive, the quicker they can begin the restoration process and minimize the damage.
- Industry Expertise: SERVPRO technicians are trained and certified in the latest techniques and equipment for property restoration. They are knowledgeable in water, fire, and mold restoration techniques and can handle any situation.
- Comprehensive Services: SERVPRO offers a wide range of restoration services to help you recover from any type of property damage. From water and fire damage to mold remediation and more, they can help restore your property to pre-damage condition.
- Advanced Equipment: SERVPRO uses advanced equipment and techniques to ensure the most effective and efficient restoration possible. They use state-of-the-art equipment for water extraction, drying, and dehumidification, as well as specialized equipment for fire and smoke damage.
- Insurance Coordination: Dealing with insurance after a disaster can be overwhelming. SERVPRO can help you navigate the insurance process and coordinate with your insurance provider to help ensure a smooth and stress-free experience.
- Trusted Reputation: SERVPRO has been in the property restoration industry for over 50 years and has built a reputation as a trusted and reliable provider. They have helped countless customers recover from disasters and can help you too.
In summary, choosing SERVPRO of Rocky Mount for property restoration can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. Our quick response time, industry expertise, comprehensive services, advanced equipment, insurance coordination, and trusted reputation make us a top choice for property restoration. We can be reached anytime at (252) 977-9444.
Hotel & Motel Water Damage Restoration in Rocky Mount, North Carolina
SERVPRO of Rocky Mount responded to a water loss for a local hotel. The main water line busted and flooded the entire first floor.
Commercial Water Damage
Water damage can be extremely detrimental to a hotel or motel property, as it can impact the property’s reputation, guest satisfaction, and revenue. Here are some ways in which water damage can affect hotel owners:
- Guest satisfaction: Water damage can cause disruptions to the hotel's operations, such as closing down floors or rooms, which can lead to guest complaints and dissatisfaction. The presence of water damage can also create an unpleasant environment for guests, which can negatively impact their experience and lead to negative reviews.
- Health risks: Water damage can create a breeding ground for mold and bacteria, which can pose health risks to guests and employees. If not addressed promptly, mold and bacteria can spread quickly, leading to potential health issues and legal liabilities.
- Revenue loss: Water damage can result in the closure of rooms or floors, leading to a loss of revenue for the hotel. Additionally, the cost of repairs and restoration can be significant, further impacting the hotel's bottom line.
- Property damage: Water damage can cause structural damage to the hotel, such as weakening walls, ceilings, and floors. This damage can lead to costly repairs and potentially compromise the safety of the hotel.
- Reputation damage: A hotel's reputation is critical to its success, and water damage can quickly tarnish that reputation. Negative reviews and word-of-mouth can impact the hotel's brand and future revenue potential.
When managing a busy hotel or motel in Rocky Mount, it can be easy to overlook water damage caused by storms or plumbing leaks. It is essential for hotel owners to take water damage seriously and address it promptly to mitigate its impact. Water can enter your property and cause problems such as corrosion, rot, and mold. To maintain the quality of your property and ensure your guests have a comfortable stay, it's important to have your hotel or motel inspected for water damage. By enlisting the help of a skilled restoration specialist, you can address and prevent water damage issues quickly and with minimal disruption to your services.
Commercial Property Inspections
Qualified restoration companies, such as SERVPRO of Rocky Mount, have the necessary resources and personnel to identify, repair, and prevent water damage problems. With the latest advancements in water detection technology, such as infrared moisture detectors and hygrometers, our technicians can accurately locate and determine the extent of saturation. We also have a range of water extractors, including specialized attachments to reach hard-to-access areas, such as crawlspaces and attics.
SERVPRO can set up a meeting to generate an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) Plan for your building. Having a custom ERP can provide recommendations that help you prevent these incidents from developing in the future, saving you from dealing with large-loss situations that prevent your business from operating normally.
Take advantage of water damage specialists and emergency services available at SERVPRO of Rocky Mount. We serve Nash & Edgecombe Counties. Call today. 252-977-9444
Detecting Water Leaks
Water leaks can be a slow drip. Be sure to inspect all your faucets throughout the house.
Water leaks in your home can cause a significant amount of damage if left unchecked. Not only can they lead to costly repairs, but they can also cause mold and mildew growth, which can be harmful to your health. The good news is that detecting water leaks in your home is not difficult, and with a few simple steps, you can identify and fix any leaks before they cause major damage. In this blog post, we’ll go over some simple methods to check for water leaks in your home.
- Look for Visible Water Damage Check for any visible water damage around your home. This could include water stains on walls or ceilings, damp areas on the floor, or even dripping faucets. Pay attention to any musty smells or mold growth, as these could also indicate a water leak. If you are not comfortable doing your own inspection, give SERVPRO of Rocky Mount a call. One of our professional technicians will come out to complete a detailed inspection.
- Check Your Water Meter One of the easiest ways to check for water leaks is to check your water meter. First, make sure that no water is being used in your home. Then, locate your water meter and check the reading. Wait for an hour or two and check it again. If the reading has changed, it could indicate a water leak.
- Monitor Your Water Bill If you notice a sudden increase in your water bill, it could be a sign of a water leak. Compare your current water bill to previous bills and see if there is a significant increase in usage. If there is, it’s time to investigate further.
- Use Food Coloring A simple way to check for toilet leaks is to add a few drops of food coloring to the tank. Wait for about 30 minutes and check the toilet bowl. If you see colored water in the bowl, it means that there is a leak from the tank to the bowl.
- Check Your Water Pressure If your water pressure is low, it could indicate a water leak. Turn off all the faucets and water-using appliances in your home and check the water pressure at one faucet. If the pressure is low, it could be due to a leak.
In conclusion, checking for water leaks in your home is an essential step in preventing water damage and costly repairs. By following these simple methods, you can quickly identify any leaks and fix them before they cause any significant damage. If you do find a leak, it’s essential to address it immediately to prevent further damage and keep your home safe and healthy.
As always, we have technicians standing by 24/7 for any emergency services you might need. Give us a call (252) 977-9444
House Fire Dangers & Cleaning Techniques for Rocky Mount Homes
A house fire is a devastating event that can cause significant damage to both the property and the people living inside. The aftermath of a house fire can be equally dangerous due to the accumulation of soot and ash, which can pose health risks and cause long-term damage to the structure of the house. In this blog post, we will discuss the dangers of a house fire and how to clean up soot.
Dangers of a House Fire:
- Health hazards: A house fire produces smoke and soot, which can cause respiratory problems, including asthma, bronchitis, and lung damage. The smoke can also contain toxic gases, such as carbon monoxide, which can be lethal if inhaled.
- Structural damage: A house fire can weaken the structure of the building, causing it to become unstable and unsafe to inhabit. The fire can also damage the electrical and plumbing systems, leading to potential hazards.
- Emotional trauma: A house fire can cause emotional trauma to the residents, especially if they lose their belongings or are injured in the fire.
Cleaning Up Soot:
- Safety precautions: Before you start cleaning up the soot, make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator mask. Open the windows to provide adequate ventilation and reduce the risk of inhaling toxic fumes.
- Assess the damage: Assess the extent of the damage caused by the fire, and decide which areas need to be cleaned up. If the damage is severe, it is advisable to seek the services of a professional cleaner.
- Remove loose soot: Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter to remove loose soot and ash from surfaces. Do not use a regular vacuum cleaner, as it can blow the soot back into the air.
- Clean surfaces: Use a sponge or a soft-bristled brush and a cleaning solution to clean surfaces affected by soot. You can use a solution of warm water and mild detergent, or a specialized cleaning solution designed for soot removal.
- Clean the air ducts: The air ducts can also become clogged with soot and ash, which can circulate in the air and cause respiratory problems. It is essential to clean the air ducts thoroughly to prevent any health hazards.
In the aftermath of a house fire, the damage restoration and fire cleanup actions can be overwhelming and emotionally taxing. Seeking the services of a professional cleaning and restoration company can alleviate some of the stress and ensure that the cleanup is done thoroughly and correctly.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. SERVPRO of Rocky Mount follows a comprehensive fire damage restoration process for all repairs that can be found on our website.
Cleaning a fire-damaged property can be stressful, but you don’t have to face fire restoration alone. Call us at (252) 977-9444. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.Top of Form
Storm Preparation and Recovery
We at SERVPRO are here for any size disaster from a small water leak to the unavoidable storm. Whatever life throws at you, we are Here to Help® through it all. If a storm does come your way, we have some tips and tricks on what to do to prepare for these large events.
Hurricanes are one of the slower moving natural disasters. Because of this, typically your local news source will be able to provide advance notice. These notices can help you prepare your property for any upcoming weather.
Depending on your location, hurricane season occurs during different times of the year, but that shouldn’t change how you prepare yourself and your property. Here are some of our tips to prepare for a hurricane:
- Don’t forget to unplug appliances. This helps not only protect your appliances from power fluctuation, but also potential fire hazards.
- You will need to turn off the power to your home if you notice flooding in your area, downed power-lines, or if authorities recommend you do so. This will precent sparks from occurring if your home floods.
- Boarding up windows will help with flying debris and other dangers that may enter your home. If you’re unable to board up the windows, stay as far away from the windows as you can to protect yourself, preferably taking shelter in a closet.
Listen to authorities if they tell you to evacuate and always be ready to evacuate at a moment’s notice. A home can be replaced, but your life and your loved ones cannot.
Tornadoes can strike at a moments notice if the conditions are favorable. These storms are measured with the Fujita Scale: F1 being the weakest to F5 being the strongest. Even the weakest version of these storms can be dangerous which is why we always need to be prepared. Here are some ways for you to stay safe when in the midst of a tornado:
- Always remain aware of the weather conditions, especially if you know severe weather is possible.
- Have an emergency plan in place, so that everyone is aware of where to go and what to do.
- Take shelter immediately in a safe place. Make sure there are no windows or breakable glass around. If possible, go to a basement, if not then find a room in the middle of your house. If you live in a manufactured home, guidelines suggest you leave the home and take cover in a safe room, storm shelter, or sturdy building.
With severe storms there unfortunately comes damage. SERVPRO of Rocky Mount is always ready for when disaster strikes. Here are some tips to start dealing with the disaster after the storm:
- Report any power outages or downed power lines to your electricity company. Downed power lines can be extremely dangerous. If the lines still hold power, they can produce sparks which can lead to a fire. If you come across downed powerlines, stay 30 feet away and don’t go near the pole or anything touching the line. If they land on your car, do not leave the car and wait for help to arrive. Always assume that a downed power line is carrying electricity!
- Check for storm water runoff. Look around your home (crawlspace, attic, roof, etc.) to see if it is dry. Make sure there is no standing water or areas that could be leaking. The key to water restoration is making sure the structure dries in the appropriate amount of time. When a structure doesn’t dry quickly enough you have the potential for harmful microbial growth which can cause severe illness.
- You will have to figure out how to dispose of the debris left behind. The best way to find this information is to contact your trash company or FEMA.
Storm season is rapidly approaching here in Eastern North Carolina. We all need to be prepared before it hits and know what to expect for the recovery. If your home is damaged during a hurricane or tornado, our experts at SERVPRO will be there to get everything back to the way it was or better, "Like it never even happened." As always, feel free to contact us here at SERVPRO Rocky Mount for any additional questions or concerns regarding storm prep.
How to Prevent Mold in a Commercial Building
Microorganisms can serve a valuable purpose, helping nature in the circle of life. However, inside your commercial building, microbial growth is not so friendly. Mold can cause structural surface damage and respiratory issues for your employees and your customers.
It’s critical to know how to prevent mold in a commercial building so you can control the environment and decrease any risks. The following are three significant factors to consider when dealing with microbial growth in your commercial building:
Are Your Cleaning Habits Making Things Worse?
Bleach and other industrial cleaners kill surface germs. Use them to freshen countertops and scrub away the grime. They do not, however, penetrate porous materials. Spores do. Therefore, some industrial cleaners do not eliminate infestation. They hide it.
Instead of masking the issue, turn to the experts! We will start from the beginning and then find the source, next we will determine how to fix it and lastly, we will extract the infected material.
How does Air Flow Factor in?
One of the most common methods for mold to spread is through the air. Their microscopic size makes it easy for wind and air conditioners to impact their location. If active growth starts within the space, the air movement could influence the overall impact.
Contacting a mold remediation company in Rocky Mount, NC, is essential. Also, mold can hide inside your duct lines. Luckily your local SERVPRO can professionally clean them. HVAC ducts can be cleaned in a variety of ways, but not all are as effective enough to be considered satisfactory by SERVPRO standards. Our technicians are Here to Help® and have the training and the commercial equipment necessary to provide the professional results you deserve and expect.
Your HVAC system can offer many benefits when combating microbial growth by limiting the room's moisture, property owners may reduce the chance of spore growth. Furthermore, most microbial growth cannot grow below 40 degrees. Use your HVAC unit to maintain a cool, dry climate.
When to call the experts?
It is always best to call us sooner rather than later. The sooner we can get there to help is always better. We want to get your business back up and running quickly and effortlessly. We understand that when your business operations are interrupted by mold damage, it causes loss of revenue and productivity. SERVPRO of Rocky Mount provides professional cleaning and emergency restoration services to get your business running smoothly again. We have the training, equipment, and resources to handle any size of disaster there is. We are not only Here to Help® , we want to help!
What Causes Mold in a Commercial Building
Microorganisms can serve a valuable purpose, helping nature in the circle of life. However, inside your commercial property, microbial growth can be a serious issue. Mold can cause structural damage and respiratory health issues for your employees and customers.
It’s critical to know what is spreading mold in order to control environmental factors and decrease health risks. The following are two factors to understand when identifying causes for microbial growth in your commercial building:
Moisture & Humidity
If you don't want to be dealing with microbial growth, concentrate on keeping the property dry. Many owners shrug off minor roof leaks or plumbing troubles. These minor problems, however, can be sources of microbial growth of fungus. If you leave them unattended, microbes prosper.
Take proactive measures. Fix plumbing, appliances, roofs, or equipment that is leaking. If water is seeping into your building from the outside, consider waterproofing your building, changing your landscaping to direct water away, and repairing any cracks or other damage that allows water to penetrate your building. Use exhaust fans in kitchens, bathrooms, and other areas that generate steam. Vent driers to the outside in laundry rooms. Use dehumidifiers and air conditioners to control humidity during the summer.
Can you stop what is spreading mold? You can work against it by limiting the catalysts and air movement. Keep your property cool, the air conditioner working correctly and the ducts clean. In addition, eliminate spores appropriately with professional services that fix water damage as soon as possible.
One of the most common methods for mold to spread is through the air. Their microscopic size makes it easy for wind and air conditioners to impact their location. If active growth starts within the space, the air movement could influence the overall impact.
Contacting a mold remediation company in Rocky Mount, NC, is essential. The professionals assess the fungus and ducts. If needed, they can scrub and close off some vents to avoid further contamination.
Duct lines can also be professionally cleaned by our team. HVAC ducts can be cleaned in a variety of ways, but not all are as effective enough to be considered satisfactory by SERVPRO standards. Our technicians are Here to Help® and have the training and commercial equipment necessary to provide the professional results you deserve and expect.
The HVAC system can offer benefits when combating microbial growth by limiting the room's moisture, property owners may reduce the chance of spore growth. Use it to maintain a cool, dry climate.
When your business operations are mold damage, you need professional help to get your property back to business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. SERVPRO of Rocky Mount provides professional cleaning or emergency restoration services to get your business running smoothly again. We have the training, equipment, and resources to handle any size disaster.
SERVPRO of Rocky Mount is Always Ready
Time is of the essence when you need emergency remediation. That's why we have crews on standby 24/7/365.
When a client in Eastern NC files an insurance claim, insurers know they need to rely on storm, fire, or water damage restoration specialists that are “Faster to any size disaster.” ™ Waiting for help to arrive can quickly lead to additional damage and rising costs. Instead of hoping to hear back from a company, have confidence in immediate assistance by relying on a trusted company that is prepared to help any time of the day.
Power in Numbers:
SERVPRO® has over 2,000 franchises, allowing our professionals to jump into action the minute they get the call. No matter where the disaster happens, commercial services available include:
- Water damage restoration
- Fire damage restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Cleaning services
- Storm and major events
- Disaster recovery
Knowing that your emergency response team means working with professionals from the community also provides additional peace of mind. Being local, we care and are dedicated to ensuring everyone is satisfied with the restoration results. In addition to the local benefits, each franchise is backed by a nationwide network. We work closely with national and local insurance companies, which boosts communication and makes the claim process easier for everyone involved.
Along with being faster to any size disaster, our 24/7 emergency service teams that arrive at the disaster scene are certified professionals trained in property damage restoration. Along with employee certification training, technicians are required to be certified through the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (the IICRC). Training and certification are ongoing to ensure no matter where help is needed, the team answering the call has the latest skills to get a business back “Like it never even happened.” ®
When clients need help, it is vital to get assistance from a trusted company that is faster to any size disaster to avoid downtime, rising repair costs, and further damage.